Monday 2 January 2012

The year all over again!

My first post of the year...and the first of January signifies the beginning of the another year all over again! Expecting the same tasks, the same holidays, the same special days...etc. Well, as mentioned in my previous post, we all try to find happiness and perhaps, some meaning in all of these, isn't that so?

To start of the year, I shall post on a relatively new interest...plastic modeling, in particular Gundam robot models. Been wanting to try this out these past few years and took the plunge with the Metro sales this month to buy one. 

The front box art.

The manual that comes with it.
For those who have never tried, the parts of these models are all encased in plastic "wire frames". I forgot to take a picture of it but you can google for it online to have an idea of what I mean.

It takes quite a lot of work to put even a small model together. For me, as an amateur, I bought the HG (High Grade) version of the Aile Strike Gundam from the Gundam Seed series (Been trying to catch up with the series on my anime DVD). There are also MG (Master Grade) and PG (Perfect Grade) versions, which means there are lots more parts, the size is larger, and more importantly, more flexible and pose able robot.

For every small part removed from the wire frame, it has to be cut with a plastic cutter at three different points. The next step would be be cut the excess of the part removed and use good quality sand paper to smoothen the part. For pros, they would use other materials like thin markers to highlight the details on the robot, or use air spray to improve on the colors. 

Well, I am still struggling to smoothen the cut joints to make it look better. The process on this small robot took me several hours to complete...and it was hard work. The main problem being hurt fingers! 

Enough words...let me post a few images on my completed 1/144 Strike Gundam!

Front standard view.

Rear standard view.

A little pose won't hurt!

This is what I call "joint flexibility".

Taking cover behind the shield...

...and taking out enemies with a few shots.

Out comes the lance for close combat!

Too lazy to repose!

A close up view...and you can see it's not too great yet!

Oh, I have seen the larger and more impressive models complete with pose and weaponry! Never thought I would actually like the process of it. No photos of the process as it was a powdery, tedious affair so I did not even attempt to take a photo. Will not be doing many of these due to time factor but I certain would look forward to the time when I can build another one or improve on my Strike Gundam!

No comments:

Post a Comment